Investing in Next-Generation Cancer Care
The Upstate has relied on Gibbs Cancer Center & Research Institute since 1999 for personalized medicine and cancer care. Now, Gibbs is ready to take the next step and bring cancer care to a new level.
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System announced the investment of $65 million into a new cancer center in Greer. The foundation has raised over $12.8 million so far, with $7 million coming from four families. Lead donors include the Milliken family, Marsha and Jimmy Gibbs, Lindsay Webster and the Montgomery family.
The 198,000 square-foot, seven-story facility is scheduled for completion in mid-2018. This cancer center will be connected to Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System’s Pelham Medical Center campus, located at 250 Westmoreland Road in Greer, S.C.
With cancer treatment and support services under one roof, the new facility will also house research, education and a healing environment for patients. Numerous physicians will collaborate to incorporate technology across the fields of research and treatment to ensure that every patient receives the best cancer care possible.
Gibbs Cancer Center & Research Institute currently offers:
- Multidisciplinary planning committees, in which the medical team pulls from different specialties to discuss individual patient cases
- Clinical and translational research
- Clinical trials for patients that will help determine which medical approach works best for certain illnesses or groups of people
- Radiation, medical and surgical oncology
- Advanced technology such as CyberKnife® M6™ Radiosurgery System, TrueBeam Radiotherapy System, and InCise™ Multileaf Collimation System
- Integrative medicine (therapeutic massages, support groups, classes and more)
These services will continue to be offered with a potential to expand in the coming years. Gibbs physicians are now taking an “academic” approach to cancer care with an invested emphasis on clinical, translational and basic research.
The new cancer center is in close proximity to the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, allowing ease of access for patients flying into the area. The economic impact brought to the Upstate is projected to be nearly $100 million for the rapidly growing Greer area.
To invest in cancer care for the next generation, complete the donation form below. For more information, contact John Dargan at (864)560-7403.